Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Vegan Avocado No-Bake Chocolate Pie



Whether you are vegan or not, this pie is DELICIOUS! Often times, I'll give guests a slice of this chocolate pie, and it isn't until they are completely done with it that I ask them "I bet you can't guess what that pie is made of." When I tell them that the pie they just ate is almost completely avocado, the looks of disbelief are priceless!

There are various "avocado chocolate mousse" recipes online, and other similar chocolate/avocado treats, and nothing quite hid that avocado taste to my satisfaction. See, other than this pie (and on rare occassions, home made guacamole), I usually HATE avocados and can't stand the taste! However, I do realize the amazing health benefits of avocados, so I decided to come up with my own little recipe for Vegan Chocolate/Avocado Pie. I love to make this pie to give me a good, healthy reason to indulge! (I'm actually eating a slice as I write this! Mmm!!)  The best things about this pie (besides the indescribably amazing taste) is that it's simple, quick and requires no baking! Here's how to get started:

Ingredients:

-Graham cracker crust
-3 regular sized (or 2 large) ripe (and squishy!) avocados
-1 package of vegan chocolate chips
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
-1 tbs lemon juice
-1/2 cup raw organic sugar

Instructions:

1. Peel and slice the avocados, put the avocado slices into a mixing bowl
2. I prefer to use a hand blender to puree the avocados (this gives the best texture), but I've also just used a fork to squish the avocados into a puree and it has turned out fine. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan on a stove, empty about 3/4 of the package of vegan chocolate chips, and melt the chocolate chips slowly over low heat, stirring the entire time. (if you're a chocolate fiend, go ahead and use the whole package!)
4. Once all of the chocolate chips are melted, spoon all of the melted chocolate into the mixing bowl with the pureed avocado and stir until there is no green color to be seen
5. Add the vanilla extract, vanilla almond milk, lemon juice and sugar to the mixing bowl, and stir until it is all combined
6. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust and spread evenly
7. Cover the top of the pie and place the pie in the fridge to chill for several hours
8. Within a few hours, the pie will 'harden' and should be about the consistency of a pumpkin pie.
9. ENJOY!


Has this recipe made you want to hit up the kitchen and make a pie? Feel free to post the pictures of your avocado pies on my Facebook wall! I'd love to see them!

Now, I'm about to get myself another slice! (Hey, don't judge, I'm eating for 3!)

Love,

Boheme Mom <3



No comments:

Post a Comment